Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Vegan Jack Fruit Bread



This past weekend my husband and I went to one of our favorite markets and I talked him into buying me a 20 lb jackfruit. Not surprisingly, just like the last time I talked him into buying me a 20 lb jack fruit, I now have more jack fruit than I know what to do with.

After giving about 1/4 of it away to loved ones and eating about another 1/4 of it raw I decided to look up some recipes.

I've seen jackfruit "pulled pork" and jackfruit "chicken salad". I've tried some of these savory recipes and to me the fruit is just way too sweet for savory dishes.

So I researched some jackfruit bread recipes and found one I was able to dissect some and reassemble an easy and yummy quick bread that came out great! The original recipe called for canned jackfruit and the syrup it came in plus a bunch of refined sugar. I'm fortunate enough to have plenty of fresh jack fruit on hand and because of the natural sweetness of the fruit I really think it stands on it's own for sweetness and flavor so I was able to greatly simplify things into something easy, free of animal products and delicious!

So here's my version of jackfruit bread for you to enjoy:

Ingredients:

2 Cups flour of your choosing (I used all purpose white flour because it's what I had on hand)
1.5 TBS Baking Powder
1 TSP salt
1 Cup chopped, fresh jackfruit (If using canned jackfruit, drain and rinse)
1/2 cup Almond or Coconut milk
3 TBS unsweetened apple Sauce
2 TBS Coconut Oil

Directions:

Preheat your oven to 350°
Grease a loaf pan and set it aside (This recipe would make great drop biscuits too!)

First combine all of your dry ingredients into one bowl and set them aside.

Then put your jackfruit, almond milk and apple sauce into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
Warm your coconut oil so it's liquid, not too hot though, and with your blender on low add it slowly until it's thoroughly incorporated.
Pour your wet mixture into your dry mixture and stir well. It should be the consistency of a moist
biscuit dough.

Pat the dough into your loaf pan. 

You can add shredded coconut, walnuts, ground flax seed or other nuts or dried fruit to the top at this point if you'd like!

and bake for 40 minutes.

Simple and delicious and free of animal products! Let me know if you try it!




No comments:

Post a Comment